What We Are
SB2 Consultants works with law firms to improve their operational, management and profitability performance. Our partners have worked in the legal management and consulting fields for decades. Our approach is collaborative and begins with the premise that “one size does NOT fit all”, that each client is unique and each solution custom. We believe that custom solutions yield the greatest competitive advantage and value to our clients.
Using our extensive knowledge of the legal profession, practical expertise and understanding of technology we develop solutions for the complex issues that law firms and legal departments confront daily.
Our experience includes:
- Managing the “turn around” of a law firm that resulted in the firm’s most profitable year ever, one year after its near failure
- Identifying and implementing the two most successful law firm Right Sourcing projects for High Value Add administrative services in the United States
- Developing the world-wide technology and communications strategy for an Am Law 10 firm
- Developing partner compensation systems that directly link and reward the achievement of specific partner goals to the firm’s overall strategy
- Assisting in law firm mergers for firms ranging in size from 100 attorneys to Am Law 25 firms
- Training lawyers in marketing and business development techniques based upon the principals of “Rainmaking” by Ford Harding
- Providing individual business development coaching and training to law and other professional service firms.
- Conducting numerous client satisfaction and assessment feedback engagements
- Reducing operating expenses in law firms through strategic sourcing of non-payroll spend and implementing procurement management systems and procedures.
Who We Are
J. Mark Santiago
Mark has consulted to law firms in the United States and Europe for more than 30 years. He began his consulting career in the New York Office of Price Waterhouse & Co where he served many of the largest law firms in the City. During his nine years at Price Waterhouse he consulted on numerous accounting system implementations, word processing conversions and performance improvement projects. While at Price Waterhouse he originated the Legal Tech Conference which has grown into the largest legal technology trade show in the United States.
Mark left Price Waterhouse to begin the professional Services Practice for Sibson & Co (an executive compensation firm then owned by Johnson & Higgins). While at Sibson he developed a unique 360 degree performance evaluation and partner performance management system that has been implemented at Am Law 50 firms as well as much smaller entities.
Mark led the Law Firm Consulting practice at Deloitte & Touche for eleven years. While there he undertook numerous strategy, merger & acquisition, performance improvement and partner compensation engagements.
Mark has published several papers on law firm outsourcing and shared service centers and served as chair and panelist for American Lawyer Media events such as Chief Financial Officers Conference, The Chief Information & Technology Officer’s Forum, and The Managing Partners’ Forum.
While at Deloitte, Mark led the two largest law firm administrative outsourcing projects in the United States at Akin Gump as well as Orrick Harrington.
Education Background and Credentials:
- Fordham University, New York, New York
Gambelli School of Management
M.B.A. Tax and Accounting
Concentration in Management and Financial
- New York University, New York, New York
Stern School of Management
- Fordham University, New York, New York
- Frequent speaker at conferences focusing on law firm strategy, performance improvement and partner compensation, founder of Legal Tech and ALM CFO conference series
- Certified Public Accountant
Contact Mark at: firstname.lastname@example.org
P. Douglas Benson
Doug is a focused, high-energy executive with 25 years of experience driving quantifiable achievement innovation in Am Law 50 law firms. He has proven results in profit improvement / cost management as well as a developer of industry best practices for profitability management. Doug has significant experience in integrating regional and global law firm combinations and a deep understanding of the current market challenges to the law firm model and the opportunities for firms to adapt.
As Chief Operating Officer of Orrick (1,100 lawyers and $850 million in revenues) from 2002 to 2010, he directed operations at one of the most innovative Am Law 50 law firms. Responsibilities included strategy and business planning, budgeting, finance, business development, human resources, technology and facilities. As Orrick’s COO, he oversaw the development of Orrick’s unique on-shore in-sourcing model (the Global Operations Center in Wheeling, West Virginia) which houses over 300 personnel, including lawyers as well as staff in finance, information technology, human resources, marketing and word processing. The center achieved documented savings of over $10 million per year.
Prior to Orrick, Doug was:
- COO of Clifford Chance (Rogers & Wells)
- Executive Director of Shearman & Sterling
- Executive Director of Latham & Watkins
Education Background and Credentials:
- American University, Washington, D.C.
M.P.A – Technology of Management
Concentration in Management Information Systems
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
B.S. – Business Administration
- Frequent speaker at conferences focusing on law firm strategy and implementation
- Past Faculty member of Stony Brook’s Graduate School of Business and Montclair State University’s School of Business
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Management Consultant
- Fellow of College of Law Practice Management
Contact Doug at: email@example.com
Edward J. Burke
Ed has worked with law firms for more than 30 years. He was Chief Marketing Officer at Hughes Hubbard & Reed for eight years when the firm rose from no standing to #1 in The American Lawyer’s A-List of “the top firms among the nation’s legal elite.”
He was Director of Marketing & Communications at Shearman & Sterling for 13 years when The Financial Times named it ”the leading U.S. law firm” and The American Lawyer named it one of nine “winners of the ‘90s.”
Prior to that, he counseled numerous law firms as a partner in Hildebrandt, Inc., and was an editor at The New York Law Journal and The National Law Journal.
Ed has been cited in numerous publications, including: The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and Corporate Boardmember magazine. His professional positions include: Founder and Faculty Chair of an annual two-day marketing program by The New York Law Journal’s seminars division; Editor of “Marketing for Law Firms” (600 pages, Law Journal Seminars-Press) and six updates; marketing columnist for The ABA Journal; and author of numerous articles published in The American Lawyer and elsewhere.
Contact Ed at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more than 25 years, Gera has led results-oriented human resources teams that have delivered best-in-class services throughout United States, Europe and Asia. As the Chief HR Officer at two major law firms, Gera directed implementation of best practices that resulted in both firms being named to Fortune Magazine’s “Top 100 Companies to Work For.”
Gera has implemented metric driven performance objectives so that HR priorities are aligned with organizational strategy. She has reorganized HR departments that have resulted in lower department headcount, improved service levels and increased department credibility among both attorneys and staff.
As Executive Director of the U.S. offices for Orrick, Gera also oversaw the firm’s U.S.-based Office Administrators. In this role, she directed office operation strategy, financial management, staffing ratios and facilitation of communication among administrative departments. She led a cross-functional team in examining attorney support and role of the legal secretary.
Prior to joining the legal services industry, Gera was Vice President of Human Resources for a multistate, $900 million home electronics retailer where she managed a staff of 50 professionals for the 77-store, 4,500 employee corporation
Prior to Orrick, Gera was:
- Director of Operations – West Coast of Clifford Chance
- CHRO of Brobeck
- VP of HR of the good guys!
Education and Credentials:
- San Francisco State University
B.A. – Speech Communications
- Member/Speaker: Law Firm CHRO Roundtable
Contact Gera at: email@example.com
Doug Weiner leads the Financial Analysis and Reporting practice at SB2. Doug has more than 20 years of experience in developing actionable management reporting and analytical tools for law firms. He has assisted numerous law firms in improving their collection cycle (docket to pocket), accounts receivable management and partner performance analysis. His solutions are designed to be powerful, flexible and fit the exact needs of your firm.
The focus of Doug’s work is to provide the right amount of information to the right people on a timely basis. Focusing on actionable items helps your attorneys and management better manage their daily workloads and their client relationships.
Doug’s prior experience includes managing financial systems at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, McCarter and English and Holland & Knight. In a consulting role, he has provided services to over 25 law firms, helping them better leverage the power of their financial software.
While on staff at law firms, Doug ran the New York, New Jersey and Florida Elite Users Groups and has presented at various conferences. He received his BA from Brooklyn College.
Contact Doug at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike has been the Chief Operating Officer of an AM Law 100 and an NLJ 350 firm and has nearly 3 decades of operational law firm management with broad financial accountability. During his career Mike directed the administrative operations and management functions of the firms including:
- Administrative Support
- Conflicts and Docketing
- Finance and Billing
- Facilities and Operations
- Human Resources
- Information Management Services
Under Mike’s leadership, the profits per partner of the NLJ 350 firm grew to that of an Am Law 200 firm by successfully integrating a profitability model into the partner compensation system.
In addition, Mike has extensive experience in law firm lateral attorney recruiting and integration. In his former role as “Chief Growth Officer,” he worked closely with search and recruiting firms, interviewed partner-level lateral candidates, designed and managed partner compensation systems, managed the review and due diligence processes, and managed the onboarding and logistical integration of partner level lateral attorneys.
Prior positions include Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer for a certified public accounting firm. In addition to his law firm and public accounting firm experience, Mike volunteers for various professional and community service organizations.
Educational Background and Credentials:
- Master of Business Administration, Robert Morris College
- BS, Accounting Major, Point Park College
- Member, Association of Legal Administrators, National, Chicago and NYC Chapters
- Member, ALA Large Firm Administrator’s Retreat Education Planning Committee
- Member, Legal Marketing Association
- Member, International Facilities Management Association
- Member, International Legal Technology Association
- Member, American Management Association
- Treasurer and Advisor, Board of Directors-Chicago Chapter ALA
Contact Mike at: email@example.com